Cars I Hate And Love
Hands up if you love cars. I do. Now hands up if you hate cars. Yeah, me too.
On one hand, cars:
- Look good (Well, some do).
- Get you from here to right over there and back before you can say “Hang on. Where the heck are we going?"
- Give people a sense of freedom (at least until the first bill comes in).
- Provide endless entertainment (for people who think they don't have something better to do).
- Give you more choices (like, "Which way will get me out of this traffic jam?")
- Let you express yourself (You know, with fluffy dice and cutesy plush toy animals on the back shelf).
But, there is also plenty about cars that drives you crazy. Like:
- Sacrificing all your time to the traffic jam shrine (How long does that add up to in your life?).
- The shocking cost of parts, servicing, repairs, and crap (Think how all that cash could have been used for other things...).
- When your bloody thing won't start.
- Experiencing road rage (Either giving or receiving Not good).
- How cars are filthy, stinking machines that foul the air, generate oily stains and create a complete mess (Much like your uncle Herb).
- Cleaning and washing the thing (Now, isn't that what you always dreamt of doing on your weekends? I mean, cleaning the car, not Uncle Herb).
- Paying for speeding and parking fines (Fantastic...).
Of course, cars can make a statement. Some say "Boy racer", "Stylish chic", or "Practical power." Mine says, “Can you believe this car is still going?”
If we had good public transport Iike: cheap, reliable buses, trams, trains, or even zeppelins, then cars wouldn't make much sense. But, seeing as too much public transport plods like a tired Clydesdale trawling a clapped out red wagon (which, you'd think someone should fix), cars remain the best way to clog the road, pollute the air, and keep us broke.